This 1915 art exhibit was in the Exposition’s Fine Arts Building, the mission-like section of the California Quadrangle, directly across the Plaza de California from the California Building. The exhibit came about through the efforts of Alice Klauber, Robert Henri, and Edgar Lee Hewett. They invited east coast artists, members of “The Eight” or the “Ashcan School,” who frequently depicted the everyday, sometimes raw, side of life.
From the 1915 Catalogue of Paintings. The exhibit was not well-received by San Diegans or by Exposition visitors. Most of the artists are well-known today and their work can be found in many museums.